Trust S&C Dental for Deep Cleanings
In recent years and through technological advances, laser dentistry has started replacing traditional dental procedures. Laser gum treatments provide a less painful and more precise cleaning with intense light projected through a dental laser. These treatments can perform several dental procedures, such as deep cleanings, soft tissue shaping, and removal. If you’ve been looking for an alternative to traditional dental deep cleanings, look no further than S&C Dental in Scottsdale, AZ. Regardless of your dental needs, our team has the training and experience to restore your smile while keeping your gums disease-free. Learn more about our laser treatments by reaching out today.
What is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is a treatment option that utilizes lasers to help treat several different dental conditions. Our dentists can offer more comfortable treatment options through laser dentistry instead of traditional hard or soft tissue drills. This is an excellent option for patients suffering from anxiety or who have issues with the sound of dental drills. When used on gums, it produces a reaction that allows our team to remove, clean, or shape tissue. Here are some of the treatments that make use of lasers:
- Addressing Gum Hypersensitivity
- Treating Tooth Decay
- Treating Gum Disease
- Whitening Teeth
- Gum Surgery
Why Do I Need Dental Deep Cleanings?
When your dentist recommends a deep cleaning instead of a standard cleaning, it’s usually because they’ve detected periodontal disease or gum disease. While it may sound scary when professionally treated and watched, gum disease is entirely manageable. It’s possible to prevent gum disease from worsening. With deep cleanings, we remove any built-up plaque and tartar found below the gumline. Take a look at some benefits of undergoing deep dental cleanings:
- Stops the Advancement of Periodontal Diseases – When plaque and tartar are removed, we can provide additional treatment while ensuring the infection cannot advance.
- Helps Treat Current Infections – After a deep cleaning, you can strengthen and maintain a proactive oral hygiene routine that will help keep your gums clean.
- Promote Healing – Bacteria found in tartar are incredibly irritating to your guns. When tartar is removed, your gums can reattach to your tooth roots.
- Helps Eliminate Bad Breath – The plague that sticks to your teeth harbors bacteria that encourage bad breath and cavities.
- Protects Your Roots and Jawbones – Your gums act as protective armor for your roots. When your gums become infected, they’ll peel away and expose the roots they’re supposed to protect. This can lead to damage and infections within your jawbone.
Why Do You Get Gum Disease?
Several factors cause gum disease to spread. Plaque buildup is one of the leading causes of periodontal disease. As mentioned, plaque contains different bacteria that have the chance of infecting your gums. This explains why you’re more likely to be diagnosed with gingivitis with poor oral health. Other patients have genetics to blame for gum disease. Here are some additional risk factors for being diagnosed with gum disease:
- Tobacco Use
- Poor Oral Hygiene
- Autoimmune Diseases Such as Chron’s Disease
- Hormonal Changes Like Puberty, Menopause, or Pregnancy
- Heart Disease
Is Laser Dentistry Better than Deep Cleanings?
The question of which treatment and cleaning method is better can be a difficult question to answer. It commonly comes down to what treatment method would best benefit the patient. Certain conditions respond better to one treatment method, but it also depends on the severity and nature of the issue. Regarding deep cleanings, laser treatments are much gentler on patients than traditional metal equipment. We’ve compiled a list of the differences between traditional deep cleanings and procedures and laser treatments; take a look:
- Pain – When it comes to pain associated with traditional dental procedures, it tends to be higher when compared to laser treatments. Laser dentistry is pain-free and effective, using heat and lights to handle multiple treatments. It’s also less invasive than metal equipment.
- Dental Bleeding – It’s not uncommon for some blood loss to happen when dental drills are involved. With laser treatments, blood clotting happens almost instantly by sealing blood vessels while providing necessary treatment.
- Recovery – It takes your gums longer to heal from traditional procedures due to the need to cut gums to remove teeth or to treat infected tissue. Laser dentistry ensures the wound heals faster by minimizing the cuts needed for any procedure.
- Accuracy – Dental lasers are more accurate and precise than traditional dental drills.
Discover the Pros and Cons of Laser Gum Treatments
As with any treatment option, laser treatments for gum diseases have pros and cons. Without a doubt, this treatment is less invasive and painful than traditional equipment and is also less anxiety-inducing. This makes it perfect for patients who suffer from white coat syndrome. Laser dentistry requires less anesthesia and sutures while resulting in less bleeding. While there are plenty of benefits to laser dental treatments, there are some drawbacks. Laser cleanings and treatments are more costly compared to traditional methods. Further, this method requires less anesthesia, but there’s always a possible need. A laser can damage your tooth’s pulp, and bridges and crowns cannot be prepped using lasers. Lastly, dental lasers cannot treat any tooth with an existing filling. Even with some minor drawbacks, laser dentistry provides some unrivaled benefits.
Cost of Laser Treatments vs. Deep Cleanings
Many routine dental treatments utilize lasers, such as root canals, gum disease, and teeth whitening. The cost of these treatments depends on several factors, like the amount of work needed, the severity of the issue, and even your geographic location. In most cases, using a dental laser will increase the associated cost. On average, a dental laser procedure may range from $200 for one-quarter of your mouth to $1,500 for your entire mouth. Before any procedure, our team will work with you and thoroughly explain all associated costs before starting any treatment.
Reasons You Should Consider Laser Teeth Cleanings
Laser dental deep cleanings are becoming standard for patients seeking an alternative to traditional deep cleanings. As mentioned, laser cleanings are a safe and effective method to remove trapped tartar and plaque while ensuring your gums are free from harmful bacteria. It can also perform other services such as root canals and teeth whitening. Take a look at additional reasons you should consider taking advantage of laser teeth cleanings:
- A Deep Clean – Our team will use dental lasers to reach more profound areas of your gums without causing pain. A deeper cleaning ensures your mouth is healthy. If any gum disease is present, your body will have a greater chance of stopping the spread. Following any laser cleaning, your teeth have any built-up tartar and plaque removed.
- Reduced Anxiety – Laser cleanings are less likely to trigger anxiety in patients than traditional cleanings. This is due to minimal pain and irritation during the cleaning. During a laser cleaning, a patient’s gums don’t have to be pulled and pushed nearly as much. Overall, laser cleanings allow for a more relaxed and pleasant experience.
- Precision – Due to advances in dental technology, laser cleanings are more precise and allow for perfection in skilled hands. Traditional cleanings are accurate and thorough, but lasers help eliminate inconsistencies while cleaning hard-to-reach locations.
- Effective Against Gum Disease – Routine cleanings are highly effective against gum diseases. They are often the first treatment method to treat severe cases. Laser cleanings make gum disease more likely to be removed entirely in one visit.
Book Your Deep Cleaning Today!
If you’re a patient suffering from white coat syndrome or hearing dental drills fill you with dread, take advantage of our laser gum treatments. S&C Dental strives to provide exceptional dental care catered to your specific needs. Dental laser treatments are highly effective for treating gum disease while reducing pain and bleeding with a shortened recovery time. We use cutting-edge technology and industry-leading techniques to ensure your smile is bright. Don’t hesitate to discover the benefits of laser gum treatments for yourself. Call us today to schedule an appointment.